Course Manager's Update - Jim's Blog 28.2.14
Not a lot has changed in terms of the course drying out in the last week. We had some false hope that things were on the up the last couple of days but it only takes a small amount of rain to fall before we are at saturation point and the greens begin to hold surface water.
After the 181mm of rain in January, throughout February there has been 140mm of rainfall on the golf course.
The main problem at the moment is that the essential aeration work to the greens cannot begin until the greens have dried out to a level to where we can add two tonnes of sand to each green after hollow coring. It will take at least a full week of dry weather before this can happen which is a concern but I am confident that as soon as the weather improves and we can start this programme of work to the greens these areas will begin to drain and improve as all of the machinery and materials are there waiting to be used.
There is a chance of the course being open tomorrow on temporary greens. Unfortunately this means that the Division 1 medal has had to be cancelled. The Pro is organizing a 3 ball competition if the course is open and on temporary greens in the morning. For further information please contact Stuart in the shop. The course status messages will be updated from 7.30am tomorrow morning.
Could members please note that with the course becoming softer over the last few days a rule of carrying only has to be re-introduced.
This will be monitored over the next few days and when ground conditions become favourable then trolleys and hopefully ride-on buggies will be on the course sooner rather than later.
Jim Gilchrist (course manager)