On Saturday October 14th 1893, in response to a circular sent out by G H Hart, about 25 gentlemen attended at the Harborne Institute in Station Road to discuss the formation of a golf club. Mr Godlee was elected to the chair and called upon G H Hart who proposed that a Golf Club called the Harborne Golf Club be formed. It was decided that the entrance fee and subscription should be 21 shillings. Incredibly on 26th December that same year the first competition was played on nine holes at Home Farm in Harborne.
By March 1895 because of a disagreement over compensation for grass cuttings the club moved across the road to nine holes at Church Farm.
Seven years later on 10th September 1902 an exhibition match was played between Alexander Herd the Open Champion and Harry Vardon to open an 18 hole Course which had 8 holes at Church Farm and 10 holes on Home Farm.
By 16th October 1924 the present course designed by H S Colt was officially opened with a match between J H Taylor and J Williamson versus L Holland and C A Whitcombe.
The club celebrated its centenary in 1993 and its 125th anniversary in 2018 where a golf week of fun filled competitions were held in June, followed by a celebratory ball on the actual anniversary of the club's inauguration.
Today, the golf course is largely untouched from Colt's original design. Modern agronomy & green keeping methods have improved the playing surfaces with HGC now renowned for its challenging, fast, sloping greens.
The course continues to provide a stern test of golf with a course record of 64 having been set in 2016 by Jack South and equalled by Will Turner in 2022.